Thursday, August 23, 2012

Where to start?

Where to start? - that's always the hardest part isn't it? I suppose I'll start with the obvious...my name. You can call me Robert. Or Bobby (the fact of the matter is that I have way too many nicknames, so let's just stick with those for now). I'm a Biology and Anthropology student at Boston University - and I'm a senior (it still sounds strange to my ears...when did this happen again?). I decided to start this blog (a word which I find really annoying but it is what it is) to document my travels and experiences in Ecuador. 

I'm participating in BU's Tropical Ecology Program, where I will spend the semester (and I quote) "studying the vast and diverse ecosystems of Ecuador through intensive hands-on experiences and field research in the montane, tropical rainforest, and coastal regions." Basically, this is BU's eloquent way of saying I will be traveling around Ecuador doing and seeing some really awesome things in the mountains, the coast, the Galapagos, and the Amazon. Boom, BIOLOGY. 

Yasuni National Park, Amazonia. I will be near here in November. If I see a waterfall, you'll see me jumping off.


What this also means is that I will be living in Quito for around 5 months. I'll be staying with an Ecuadorian family, taking public transportation, eating local foods - giving me the chance to experience and learn about the city, its people, and what life is like there. Boom, CULTURE.

Quito with Cotopaxi in the background (Yes, I'm totally climbing that).

Let's think about this: Biology + Culture. What am I majoring in? (hint: read the fist paragraph again). With that in mind, I don't think I could have picked a better place to spend a semester abroad -it's the perfect opportunity to learn firsthand about what I've been lectured on for the past three years: nature and people. And it's an excellent opportunity to write about it - and incorporate a little bit of photography.

Like I said before, starting is the hardest part. It's especially true in this case, because (surprise) I've already been in Quito for a week. I meant to start writing as soon as I go here, but this is the first time I've had stable access to wi-fi since I got here on August 14th (but hey, it's alright - Ecuador is known for its biodiversity, not 4G-speed internet connections). I've already gotten a good first taste of Quito, and have plenty to write about - but everything has its time and place. Right now, there are just ideas floating around in my head - I don't know what direction this blog will take, and I'm excited to find out. 

But sometimes it's best to start at the beginning (and thus, there is my answer to the question).

Departure post coming tomorrow, and first impressions coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment